Silk is often perceived to be a fiber and a textile that is reserved for the rich and royalty, but a silk mulberry duvet and mulberry silk comforter are more affordable than you think. There is a silk filled duvet for every budget, but before we look at the best hypoallergenic duvet, let’s look at why you want to have a silk duvet and the health benefits, and also some of the best silk duvets with mulberry silk duvets UK.
Why Choose a Silk Duvet?
If you suffer from allergies, then a mulberry silk filled duvet is the answer. Silk is hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites, gives relief from itchy skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema and also relieve aches and pains caused by such ailments as arthritis and rheumatism.
If you are allergic to down or the chemicals in synthetic duvets, then silk is your perfect solution.
The breathable and heat-insulating properties of silk keep you warm, without making you hot, and its great moisture-wicking capabilities keep your bed dry. It is lightweight and will mold to your body better than a synthetic duvet.
Silk fiber is a combination of proteins that silkworms use to spin a protective cocoon. It is an animal source, so not vegan.
Related post: If you would like to read about sericulture and how a silk duvet is made, you will find the information in this post Silk fabric made from natural fiber spun by worms.
Benefits of Mulberry Silk Comforter
The natural properties of silk make it perfect for bed linen.
- Silk is hypoallergenic, which means it is free of dust mites and bed bugs and naturally resistant to moths and mold.
- It is an antibacterial fiber and silk breathes.
- Low conductor of heat, so will keep warm air close to the body when cold and visa versa.
- Designed to let body heat pass through the duvet while you sleep. This means you will be kept warm during the night, without overheating.
- It will keep you comfortable over a range of temperatures. Because body temperature can be regulated and heat can escape, you will be not be too hot or too cold.
- Less sweat is produced when sleeping under a silk duvet, which means there are less bacteria that builds up in a silk duvet. Fewer bacteria means you have a healthier bed.
- It deters mites, bacteria and allergies from investing your body and prevents mold growth.
- A silk duvet drapes over you and hugs the contours of your body, thereby creating fewer cold spots between you and the silk duvet.
- Low maintenance and you can sleep better when you use a silk comforter.
- The best silk duvets will have the long silk filaments layered, so they will not bunch together inside the casing.
Which are the Best Silk Duvets?
Mulberry silk is often regarded as the top grade of silk, and although there are different types of silk, mulberry silk is normally used as the filler in silk comforters. So what is mulberry silk? Mulberry silk is also known as cultivated silk and bombyx silk. The Bombyx Mori is the silkworm that is used to create mulberry silk, which is a specific type of silkworm that only consumes mulberry leaves. The sole source of food is the white mulberry plant.
A mulberry silk filled duvet means the filling is made from silk. The silk duvet is hand stitched before being put in a casing, which could be silk as well, but mostly cotton or Egyptian cotton is used. To prevent the silk from moving inside the casing, the silk inner is loop-sewn and tied by hand. That way the silk will not be damaged or crushed inside the casing.
China is the biggest producer of silk and India is second, in terms of global production. Silk worm rearing and mulberry cultivation generates employment for those living in rural areas. One hectare of land being cultivated, provides employment for twelve to thirteen people throughout the year.
The best silk duvets are lightweight and breathable to withstand most seasons and temperatures. To cater for different seasons and unusually cold or warm places, mulberry silk duvets UK are available in different versions. The different weights also cater for personal requirements and there are different togs for different seasons with 4.5 tog for summer, 9 tog for spring and autumn and 13.5 tog for winter.
There are different options depending on the part of the world that you live, so I will give you choices for the USA, the UK and also the EU.
Budget Friendly Mulberry Silk Comforter
This budget friendly mulberry silk filled duvet is priced at $58.99 for the Queen size.
- 100% Mulberry Silk Filling with pure long strand silk.
- The outer cover is 100% pure, high-quality Xinjiang long-staple cotton making it breathable.
- The mulberry silk comforter is queen size (59.05 inches x 78.74 inches).
- Total weight is 4.8 pounds and the weight of silk stuffing is 3.3 pounds.
- Included are 6 comforter fasteners that can attach to hold the comforter in place.
- It is lightweight, cool and breathable.
- Stitched with attentive workmanship, the comforter displays a beautiful textile pattern and precise side seam stitching.
- Premium silk is soft, fluffy and lightweight; not too thick or heavy.
- Temperature regulating and suitable for all seasons and comfortable year round. The silk comforter is breathable and cool in summer, while able to insulate and keep warm in winter.
- If you have very cold winters, you can use the comforter clasp or comforter fastener to add another comforter for double warmth.
- After receiving the silk comforter, hang it in a ventilated place to air out. Pat it gently with your hands and let the silk pores be filled with air, which makes the comforter more fluffy.
- Washing a silk duvet is not advisable and always follow the directions of the manufacturer.
- Price: $58.99
Affordable Mid Range Silk Mulberry Duvet
This mulberry silk comforter is lightweight and made from 100% top grade silk. It is extremely affordable and very good value for money.
Price: $139 for the Queen size
- Filling is 100% high quality long strand mulberry silk.
- Outer shell is 100% 300 thread count twill cotton.
- Cotton shell with a zipper closure to inspect the silk filler.
- Eight corner tabs to secure the duvet in place.
- Weight for Queen size is 1.65 pounds
- Piped edges make it long-lasting.
- Sizes that are available are Twin (1.2lb), Queen (1.65lb), King (2lb) and Californian King (2.2lb)
- Recommended temperatures:
- Summer version 77°F – 86°F
- Spring and Fall version 59°F – 77°F
- Winter version 41°F – 59°F
- A duvet cover is strongly recommended
- Washing a silk duvet is not advisable but use professional cleaning services.
Hypoallergenic and Naturally Breathable Mulberry Silk Duvet
Skin friendly, hypoallergenic and naturally breathable silk is used in this 9 tog (600gm²) duvet. It is highly recommended for those suffering from asthma, allergies and even eczema. Resistant to dust mites, relief from itchy skin conditions like rosacea and eczema and also relieving aches and pains caused by such ailments like arthritis and rheumatism.
- Premium natural silk filled duvet with 100% luxury mulberry silk.
- Outer cover is 100% cotton.
- One of the best hypoallergenic duvet choices.
- Available in different sizes :
- Single (135 x 200 cm) weight 1.5 kg @ €125.99
- Double (200 x 200 cm) weight 2.1 kg @ €135.99
- King (225 x 230 cm) weight 2.5 kg @ €160.99
- Super King (260 x 220 cm) weight 2.9 kg @ €170.99
- Zip to inspect the authenticity of the silk filling.
- Lightweight and fits the contours of tour body .
- Extraordinarily luxurious and comfortable.
- No chemicals, other substances or materials, nor any other type of treatments are used.
- Perfect for all seasons (spring, summer, autumn and winter).
- The breathable and heat-insulating properties of silk keep you warm without making you hot, and its great moisture-wicking capabilities keep your bed dry.
- After receiving the silk duvet, hang it to ventilate and pat it gently with your hands to let the silk pores fill with air. This makes the quilt more fluffy.
- Washing a silk duvet is not recommended.
- Always use with a cover on the silk duvet, so as not to stain and dirty the silk.
Click on this link where you can get this value for money silk duvet if you are in the UK or the EU.
Allergy Approved Smartsilk Comforter
Smartsilk is proven to be an effective barrier against allergens, dust mites and pet dander. It is also resistant to mildew and mold. Well priced for the Queen size is $223.17
- Filling: 100% silk
- Outer cover: 100% 233 thread count cotton
- Crib: $100.38
- Twin: $188.14
- Twin XL: 94″ x 67″ weight 5.04 pounds @ $195.71
- Queen: 88″ x 94″ weight 6.95 pounds @ $223.17
- King: 96″ x 106″ weight 8.25 pounds @ 218.99
- Naturally processed and resistant to mold and mildew growth.
- Made of breathable materials scientifically proven to wick away moisture
- Smartsilk duvet has a thermal property that automatically adjusts to your body temperature.
- Tested by the Allergy Standards limited in Dublin, Ireland and certified as asthma and allergy friendly.
- Durable and comfortable.
- This silk mulberry duvet is washable by machine and is also dryable.
- Has moisture wicking properties that helps reduce the effects of night sweats.
- Scientifically proven to be an effective barrier to allergens including dust mites and pet dander.
Silk All Season Combination 100% Mulberry Silk Filled Duvet
The all season combination duvet consists of two separate duvets, 4.5 tog and 9 tog respectively, that you button together to form a 13.5 tog duvet.
Price: £255.00 for 220 x 225 cm (Queen in the USA and King in the UK)
- Silk filling is 100% Grade A long fiber mulberry silk floss.
- Outer casing is made from 300 thread count pure cotton sateen.
- Weight: 11.68 pounds / 5.3 kg for the 13.5 tog
- Three options for use:
- 4.5 tog duvet for hot climates and summer use
- 9 tog duvet for spring and autumn and in between weather
- button the two together for a 13.5 tog winter duvet
- Inspection pocket with a zip to check the authenticity of the silk.
- The best hypoallergenic duvet is resistant to dust mites, relief from itchy skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema and also relieve aches and pains caused by such ailments as arthritis and rheumatism.
- Box and circle construction keep the filling secure.
- Sizes: Available in smaller sizes and 220 x 225 cm, and also Super king (UK sizing) 220 x 260.
- Rarely requires cleaning – simply air outside on a sunny day to freshen up.
This would be a superb choice for allergy sufferers that want combination mulberry silk duvets UK.
Mulberry Silk Comforter with Silk Outer Shell
The height of luxury is this all season silk mulberry duvet which also has a silk casing, making it very skin friendly.
- Silk filling is 6A grade long strand mulberry silk floss. Long strand silk is the best quality and is super smooth and soft.
- Outer cover is 100% 19 Momme premium mulberry silk (400TC1) which is very smooth and soft and best for skin.
- Net silk weight: 1.75 kg
- Size: Queen 87 inches x 90 inches (220 cm x 230 cm)
- Cozy and comfortable for all seasons.
- Temperature regulating making it cool in summer and warm in winter.
- No shifting of the silk as the stitching structure of the layers of the silk filling and outer shell, means it will not easily move around or clump up.
- Short Zipper on the side of the comforter allows you to check the authenticity of the silk floss filling.
- Four corner taps are designed to secure the duvet in place.
- Silk can breathe, so provides a consistent temperature for comfortable sleeping.
- Caring for this silk duvet is easy and just air clean it every few months on the line or balcony out of direct sunlight.
- Washing a silk duvet is not recommended.
- You can get this mulberry silk filled duvet in many sizes and these are available: Twin ($415), Full ($441), Queen ($461.10), King ($489.50) and California King ($504)
How to care for a silk duvet
Although some manufacturers say you can wash their products in a washing machine, I would not recommend washing a silk duvet. When I bought my silk filled duvet directly from the manufacturer in Beijing, they recommended that the duvet should be aired on a regular basis, every three to four months, by putting it outside over the washing line. Surface clean any spots if needs be.
- Do not wash.
- Do not use bleach.
- It is not recommended to dry clean a silk duvet.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Do not iron.
Always use a duvet cover with your duvet to protect the outer casing of the duvet.
Mulberry Silk Filled Duvet vs Down or Synthetic Duvets
- Down and feather are designed to prevent heat from your body escaping from the duvet. This will keep you warm to start with, but as you go through the night, body heat is reflected back and you might end up overheating.
- Down is an extremely good insulator, and can be almost too good as it traps moisture from your body in the duvet as it cannot escape.
- A down duvet is soft and beautiful, but have more bulk than silk, so will not mold around your body in the same way as silk.
- Get a good nights sleep with silk pillows and mulberry silk duvets UK.
Burn test to identify real silk
- Real silk should smell like burning hair and if it smells like burning plastic, then it is not real.
- Real silk will stop burning when the open flame is removed, while artificial silk will produce black smoke and continue burning even without the flame.
- After burning, real silk will create ash, whereas fake silk will create a solid blob.
An opulent mulberry silk comforter will add style and comfort to your bed. This is where you can buy your silk filled duvet at the best price:
- If you are in the USA, please use this link to get your silk duvet at the best price.
- If you are in the UK or EU, please follow this link to order your mulberry silk duvets UK.
The best hypoallergenic duvet is a silk mulberry duvet and is highly recommended for those suffering from asthma, allergies and even eczema. Sizes have different names whether you are in the USA or the UK. A Queen size (210 x 220 cm) in the USA, is called a King size in the UK. So it is important to check the size of your bed, to decide what size duvet you would require.
If you have any questions or suggestions about the best silk duvets, then please leave them below and I will get back to you.