Silk is often perceived to be a fiber and a textile that is reserved for the rich and royalty, but a silk mulberry duvet and mulberry silk comforter are more affordable than you think. There is a silk filled duvet for every budget, but before we look at the best hypoallergenic duvet, let’s look at why you want to have a silk duvet and the health benefits, and also some of the best silk duvets with mulberry silk duvets UK.
Why Choose a Silk Duvet?
If you suffer from allergies, then a mulberry silk filled duvet is the answer. Silk is hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites, gives relief from itchy skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema and also relieve aches and pains caused by such ailments as arthritis and rheumatism.
If you are allergic to down or the chemicals in synthetic duvets, then silk is your perfect solution.
The breathable and heat-insulating properties of silk keep you warm, without making you hot, and its great moisture-wicking capabilities keep your bed dry. It is lightweight and will mold to your body better than a synthetic duvet.
Silk fiber is a combination of proteins that silkworms use to spin a protective cocoon. It is an animal source, so not vegan.
Related post: If you would like to read about sericulture and how a silk duvet is made, you will find the information in this post Silk fabric made from natural fiber spun by worms.
Benefits of Mulberry Silk Comforter
The natural properties of silk make it perfect for bed linen.
- Silk is hypoallergenic, which means it is free of dust mites and bed bugs and naturally resistant to moths and mold.
- It is an antibacterial fiber and silk breathes.
- Low conductor of heat, so will keep warm air close to the body when cold and visa versa.
- Designed to let body heat pass through the duvet while you sleep. This means you will be kept warm during the night, without overheating.
- It will keep you comfortable over a range of temperatures. Because body temperature can be regulated and heat can escape, you will be not be too hot or too cold.
- Less sweat is produced when sleeping under a silk duvet, which means there are less bacteria that builds up in a silk duvet. Fewer bacteria means you have a healthier bed.
- It deters mites, bacteria and allergies from investing your body and prevents mold growth.
- A silk duvet drapes over you and hugs the contours of your body, thereby creating fewer cold spots between you and the silk duvet.
- Low maintenance and you can sleep better when you use a silk comforter.
- The best silk duvets will have the long silk filaments layered, so they will not bunch together inside the casing.
Which are the Best Silk Duvets?
Mulberry silk is often regarded as the top grade of silk, and although there are different types of silk, mulberry silk is normally used as the filler in silk comforters. So what is mulberry silk? Mulberry silk is also known as cultivated silk and bombyx silk. The Bombyx Mori is the silkworm that is used to create mulberry silk, which is a specific type of silkworm that only consumes mulberry leaves. The sole source of food is the white mulberry plant.
A mulberry silk filled duvet means the filling is made from silk. The silk duvet is hand stitched before being put in a casing, which could be silk as well, but mostly cotton or Egyptian cotton is used. To prevent the silk from moving inside the casing, the silk inner is loop-sewn and tied by hand. That way the silk will not be damaged or crushed inside the casing.
China is the biggest producer of silk and India is second, in terms of global production. Silk worm rearing and mulberry cultivation generates employment for those living in rural areas. One hectare of land being cultivated, provides employment for twelve to thirteen people throughout the year.
The best silk duvets are lightweight and breathable to withstand most seasons and temperatures. To cater for different seasons and unusually cold or warm places, mulberry silk duvets UK are available in different versions. The different weights also cater for personal requirements and there are different togs for different seasons with 4.5 tog for summer, 9 tog for spring and autumn and 13.5 tog for winter.
There are different options depending on the part of the world that you live, so I will give you choices for the USA, the UK and also the EU.
Budget Friendly Mulberry Silk Comforter
This budget friendly mulberry silk filled duvet is priced at $58.99 for the Queen size.
- 100% Mulberry Silk Filling with pure long strand silk.
- The outer cover is 100% pure, high-quality Xinjiang long-staple cotton making it breathable.
- The mulberry silk comforter is queen size (59.05 inches x 78.74 inches).
- Total weight is 4.8 pounds and the weight of silk stuffing is 3.3 pounds.
- Included are 6 comforter fasteners that can attach to hold the comforter in place.
- It is lightweight, cool and breathable.
- Stitched with attentive workmanship, the comforter displays a beautiful textile pattern and precise side seam stitching.
- Premium silk is soft, fluffy and lightweight; not too thick or heavy.
- Temperature regulating and suitable for all seasons and comfortable year round. The silk comforter is breathable and cool in summer, while able to insulate and keep warm in winter.
- If you have very cold winters, you can use the comforter clasp or comforter fastener to add another comforter for double warmth.
- After receiving the silk comforter, hang it in a ventilated place to air out. Pat it gently with your hands and let the silk pores be filled with air, which makes the comforter more fluffy.
- Washing a silk duvet is not advisable and always follow the directions of the manufacturer.
- Price: $58.99
Affordable Mid Range Silk Mulberry Duvet
This mulberry silk comforter is lightweight and made from 100% top grade silk. It is extremely affordable and very good value for money.
Price: $139 for the Queen size
- Filling is 100% high quality long strand mulberry silk.
- Outer shell is 100% 300 thread count twill cotton.
- Cotton shell with a zipper closure to inspect the silk filler.
- Eight corner tabs to secure the duvet in place.
- Weight for Queen size is 1.65 pounds
- Piped edges make it long-lasting.
- Sizes that are available are Twin (1.2lb), Queen (1.65lb), King (2lb) and Californian King (2.2lb)
- Recommended temperatures:
- Summer version 77°F – 86°F
- Spring and Fall version 59°F – 77°F
- Winter version 41°F – 59°F
- A duvet cover is strongly recommended
- Washing a silk duvet is not advisable but use professional cleaning services.
Hypoallergenic and Naturally Breathable Mulberry Silk Duvet
Skin friendly, hypoallergenic and naturally breathable silk is used in this 9 tog (600gm²) duvet. It is highly recommended for those suffering from asthma, allergies and even eczema. Resistant to dust mites, relief from itchy skin conditions like rosacea and eczema and also relieving aches and pains caused by such ailments like arthritis and rheumatism.
Price: €160.99 for Size 225 x 230 cm (which is king size in UK and EU)
- Premium natural silk filled duvet with 100% luxury mulberry silk.
- Outer cover is 100% cotton.
- One of the best hypoallergenic duvet choices.
- Available in different sizes :
- Single (135 x 200 cm) weight 1.5 kg @ €125.99
- Double (200 x 200 cm) weight 2.1 kg @ €135.99
- King (225 x 230 cm) weight 2.5 kg @ €160.99
- Super King (260 x 220 cm) weight 2.9 kg @ €170.99
- Zip to inspect the authenticity of the silk filling.
- Lightweight and fits the contours of tour body .
- Extraordinarily luxurious and comfortable.
- No chemicals, other substances or materials, nor any other type of treatments are used.
- Perfect for all seasons (spring, summer, autumn and winter).
- The breathable and heat-insulating properties of silk keep you warm without making you hot, and its great moisture-wicking capabilities keep your bed dry.
- After receiving the silk duvet, hang it to ventilate and pat it gently with your hands to let the silk pores fill with air. This makes the quilt more fluffy.
- Washing a silk duvet is not recommended.
- Always use with a cover on the silk duvet, so as not to stain and dirty the silk.
Click on this link where you can get this value for money silk duvet if you are in the UK or the EU.
Allergy Approved Smartsilk Comforter
Smartsilk is proven to be an effective barrier against allergens, dust mites and pet dander. It is also resistant to mildew and mold. Well priced for the Queen size is $223.17
- Filling: 100% silk
- Outer cover: 100% 233 thread count cotton
- Crib: $100.38
- Twin: $188.14
- Twin XL: 94″ x 67″ weight 5.04 pounds @ $195.71
- Queen: 88″ x 94″ weight 6.95 pounds @ $223.17
- King: 96″ x 106″ weight 8.25 pounds @ 218.99
- Naturally processed and resistant to mold and mildew growth.
- Made of breathable materials scientifically proven to wick away moisture
- Smartsilk duvet has a thermal property that automatically adjusts to your body temperature.
- Tested by the Allergy Standards limited in Dublin, Ireland and certified as asthma and allergy friendly.
- Durable and comfortable.
- This silk mulberry duvet is washable by machine and is also dryable.
- Has moisture wicking properties that helps reduce the effects of night sweats.
- Scientifically proven to be an effective barrier to allergens including dust mites and pet dander.
Use this link to get your Smartsilk the best hypoallergenic duvet here.
Silk All Season Combination 100% Mulberry Silk Filled Duvet
The all season combination duvet consists of two separate duvets, 4.5 tog and 9 tog respectively, that you button together to form a 13.5 tog duvet.
Price: £255.00 for 220 x 225 cm (Queen in the USA and King in the UK)
- Silk filling is 100% Grade A long fiber mulberry silk floss.
- Outer casing is made from 300 thread count pure cotton sateen.
- Weight: 11.68 pounds / 5.3 kg for the 13.5 tog
- Three options for use:
- 4.5 tog duvet for hot climates and summer use
- 9 tog duvet for spring and autumn and in between weather
- button the two together for a 13.5 tog winter duvet
- Inspection pocket with a zip to check the authenticity of the silk.
- The best hypoallergenic duvet is resistant to dust mites, relief from itchy skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema and also relieve aches and pains caused by such ailments as arthritis and rheumatism.
- Box and circle construction keep the filling secure.
- Sizes: Available in smaller sizes and 220 x 225 cm, and also Super king (UK sizing) 220 x 260.
- Rarely requires cleaning – simply air outside on a sunny day to freshen up.
This would be a superb choice for allergy sufferers that want combination mulberry silk duvets UK.
Mulberry Silk Comforter with Silk Outer Shell
The height of luxury is this all season silk mulberry duvet which also has a silk casing, making it very skin friendly.
- Silk filling is 6A grade long strand mulberry silk floss. Long strand silk is the best quality and is super smooth and soft.
- Outer cover is 100% 19 Momme premium mulberry silk (400TC1) which is very smooth and soft and best for skin.
- Net silk weight: 1.75 kg
- Size: Queen 87 inches x 90 inches (220 cm x 230 cm)
- Cozy and comfortable for all seasons.
- Temperature regulating making it cool in summer and warm in winter.
- No shifting of the silk as the stitching structure of the layers of the silk filling and outer shell, means it will not easily move around or clump up.
- Short Zipper on the side of the comforter allows you to check the authenticity of the silk floss filling.
- Four corner taps are designed to secure the duvet in place.
- Silk can breathe, so provides a consistent temperature for comfortable sleeping.
- Caring for this silk duvet is easy and just air clean it every few months on the line or balcony out of direct sunlight.
- Washing a silk duvet is not recommended.
- You can get this mulberry silk filled duvet in many sizes and these are available: Twin ($415), Full ($441), Queen ($461.10), King ($489.50) and California King ($504)
How to care for a silk duvet
Although some manufacturers say you can wash their products in a washing machine, I would not recommend washing a silk duvet. When I bought my silk filled duvet directly from the manufacturer in Beijing, they recommended that the duvet should be aired on a regular basis, every three to four months, by putting it outside over the washing line. Surface clean any spots if needs be.
- Do not wash.
- Do not use bleach.
- It is not recommended to dry clean a silk duvet.
- Do not tumble dry.
- Do not iron.
Always use a duvet cover with your duvet to protect the outer casing of the duvet.
Mulberry Silk Filled Duvet vs Down or Synthetic Duvets
Silk duvets allow far better heat regulation than down or polyester duvets. There is very little sweat produced throughout the night. Compared with down duvets:
- Down and feather are designed to prevent heat from your body escaping from the duvet. This will keep you warm to start with, but as you go through the night, body heat is reflected back and you might end up overheating.
- Down is an extremely good insulator, and can be almost too good as it traps moisture from your body in the duvet as it cannot escape.
- A down duvet is soft and beautiful, but have more bulk than silk, so will not mold around your body in the same way as silk.
- Get a good nights sleep with silk pillows and mulberry silk duvets UK.
Burn test to identify real silk
There are easy ways to check if the silk filling is real silk or synthetic material, by doing a burn test, so pull out a few threads and burn it.
- Real silk should smell like burning hair and if it smells like burning plastic, then it is not real.
- Real silk will stop burning when the open flame is removed, while artificial silk will produce black smoke and continue burning even without the flame.
- After burning, real silk will create ash, whereas fake silk will create a solid blob.
An opulent mulberry silk comforter will add style and comfort to your bed. This is where you can buy your silk filled duvet at the best price:
- If you are in the USA, please use this link to get your silk duvet at the best price.
- If you are in the UK or EU, please follow this link to order your mulberry silk duvets UK.
The best hypoallergenic duvet is a silk mulberry duvet and is highly recommended for those suffering from asthma, allergies and even eczema. Sizes have different names whether you are in the USA or the UK. A Queen size (210 x 220 cm) in the USA, is called a King size in the UK. So it is important to check the size of your bed, to decide what size duvet you would require.
If you have any questions or suggestions about the best silk duvets, then please leave them below and I will get back to you.
38 thoughts on “Why Choose a Mulberry Silk Filled Duvet?”
Hi Line. I suffer from a number of allergies, including dust mites. This is not an issue that I grew up with, it has arrived along with my retirement. Unfortunately, this condition, along with the fact that I live in a warm subtropical climate, means that I rarely get a good nights sleep. I will wake up several times in the middle of the night sneezing and sweating. I think it’s time for me to invest in a allergy free Duvet. I don’t mind spending money on a good quality one that will actually help me, however I’m having a bit of difficulty deciding on which one of your Mulberry Silk Duvets to choose. Do have a suggestion as to which one would be best for my conditions. Thanks Jim
Hi Jim, A silk filled duvet will certainly help you with your allergies. Depending on your budget, I would recommend that you go for one of the duvets that are approved by the asthma and allergy council. And that you select a duvet cover that is made from natural fibers, like organic cotton, which is free from any chemicals.
I hop it helps, Liné
I bought our mulberry silk king size on double bed !! Last November it is amazing! We are retired now . My regret is I’ve missed many years of using Mulberry Silk the matching pillows are amazing too . My question is can we use any duvet cove ror will it effect the Silk duvet many thanks to you very informative. Maureen.
Hi Maureen, It is great to hear that you love your mulberry filled silk duvet. I would recommend using a natural fiber duvet cover. You do not want to use anything synthetic that will defeat the benefits of the silk duvet. So I would look at organic cotton (I am personally using it), but silk, linen or bamboo would be good as well.
I hope it helps you. All the best, Liné
I never knew China and India could top the chat in the production of silk. I am in search of a duvet for my father who has grown allergy to dust and virtually every little thing that flies around. With your description of mulberry silk duvet. I think it will be ideal for him. He can convieniently sleep with fear of falling sick the next day
A silk filled duvet is perfect for anybody that suffers from allergies, so I am sure your father will enjoy sleeping under a mulberry silk filled duvet.
Wow so much information! Basically you covered every section regarding silk duvet. I usually just bought the cheapest duvet. However, I learnt they aren’t always reliable and do not provide a lot of heat. Thus, I bought one that is better even though was more pricey. Thank you for the article. Will help for my next purchase.
Buying cheap is not always good in the long run and often ends up being harmful to the planet, and also to your health. I prefer spending money on a quality product that will last for many years.
Hi, I’ve just gone through this amazing article about ” why choose a mulberry silk-filled duvet” you’ve shared with us here. Any silk material is always my number one choice due to the fact that they always give necessary protection to our skin. This mulberry duvet is no exception and I’m considering it for this coming winter. Thanks for sharing this helpful information and I’ll also be sharing this post too.
I am very happy with my silk duvet, so I am sure you will enjoy sleeping under a mulberry silk filled duvet. You are welcome to share.
Very informative and wonderful article for me. I enjoyed reading this after I saw this article because you have presented some good points. Everything has represented in a pretty good way. Overall great tips and advices. Thanks a lot for this amazing helpful information. Keep it up.
I am pleased to hear that you found the post informative and helpful.
Thank you so much, Lin, for this extraordinary article, I love silk and dare you to say that silk is girls’ best friend. A night of good sleep is so important, we always had a down comforter, but I don’t want to take that anymore because of the animal suffering, silk is something different, light, pure and it adapts, body, warmth in winter, and cool in the summer, for me this seems one good choice.
I love my silk duvet and can certainly recommend it, and even more so if you suffer from allergies. I am sure you will enjoy to be covered by a girl’s best friend when you sleep.
I had no idea that there are manny types of silk. I thought that is only exclusive to the silkworms and I assume that they ate any leaves. That is amazing that the silkworm can be only eating the mulberry leaves. This is a perfect alternative for me because I am allergic to dust, and the best part that it is perfect temperature for my body. I like to sleep when it is cooler. I am gonna try the budget friendly first and see if I like it or not. Thanks for such an informative post.
Silkworms normally feed on the leaves from the mulberry tree. Silk is naturally hypoallergenic so if you suffer from allergies, then a silk filled duvet is a perfect choice.
From my online studies silk filled duvets are long lasting, it is long mulberry silk threads, combined with silk’s natural desire to bond to itself, means that a mulberry silk duvet is durable and can easily last 15 – 20 years. In the case of a duvet, it really is all about quality. If you suffer from allergies silk filled duvet is good for you.
A silk filled duvet will certainly help you if you suffer from allergies and will last you much longer than just 20 years.
Nice Article 👍👍👌 👌👍
Thank you for sharing these useful information about Silk and it’s benefits.
Sure, silk has been the best in quality Duvet and if used to form any other clothing for either children, adults or elderly people. Silk has it’s own specialty in preventing from any allergic reactions unlike other products.
I liked the information about the protection and treatment of leather. Sometimes we buy leather staff but we often do not think of treating it.
I found your website very engaging and interesting.
Thank you for your kind comments and it is good to know that you found the information beneficial.
It is very good to observe your sleep regularly and having a good duvet to sleep in makes it comfortable and sweet dreams. Silk it truly a luxury but hearing that it can be very much affordable is nice, this mulberry silk filled duvet is worth is money and I love it, I’ll get one for my wife and I. Thanks for sharing
I am sure you will enjoy your Mulberry silk filled duvet and sure is worth every cent you spend on it.
I have never used a silk duvet before but I have learnt now that many of the ones that I make use of at home are made use of some type of chemicals that might be harmful to the health of us humans. This is why I think this mulberry silk filled duvet is the best. Great gist about this is that you are able to tell me how to use it and care for the duvet too.
Most duvets have synthetic fillers which are full of chemicals and toxic substances. So you are breathing chemicals all night long if you use a synthetic duvet or synthetic comforter. Natural materials like down, cotton, silk or wool are far better for your health and also the environment. Natural fibers might cost more to start with, but they are more durable so in the long run they save you money.
It is very important to me that when i sleep i am rested in the morning when i wake up. When you are covered whit a silk duvet, you also fell a dose of glamor, because silk is not a cheap. People spend a third of their lives sleeping an it is a time to provide themselves with some luxury in that. Silk duvet regulate the temperature, ensuring that you maintain a feeling of moderate temperature throughout the night. Silk is also an antibacterial material that provides you with a hygienically clean and comfortable sleeping environment. I think this is good invest.
I can say that mulberry silk duvets uk are a very good investment when it comes to comfort and sleeping in an antibacterial bed. The hypoallergenic properties of silk make a mulberry silk filled duvet perfect from anybody suffering from allergies.
Thank you for this. My children and I all suffer from allergies. My oldest always have problems with dust. a simple thing as asking him to fold clothes can cause the sneezes. You have given me a way to solve the problem here. I will be looking into changing the type of material I use on his bed.
Since Guyana is a very hot country I also like the idea of this material being able to keep him cool.
This is just great.
Hi Candy and I am sure you will find that a mulberry silk comforter will keep him cool in summer, while warm in winter. All the best, Liné
Thanks for sharing this very informative article. We bought our silk duvet and cover on our trip to Beijing five years ago. I think I can say without exaggeration that this was about the best investment we ever made in bedding. All the features you mention do indeed correspond exactly with the actual experience. You notice how the silk duvet settles down to lightly cover all the contours of your body. I had to sleep recently with regular blankets when we were staying at our in-laws and I kept waking up because of cold spots around my feet where the covers had great pockets of air. Strangely I don’t remember anything about Mullberry though. I guess I would have to check that. Thanks again and best regards, Andy
I love my silk duvet that I also bought in Beijing and also feel it was one of the best investments in bedding that I have ever made. Mulberry is the type of silk that is normally used in the filling of the silk duvet because of the long fibers. Hope this helps.
I’m glad I found your website today to read more about why to choose a Mulberry silk filled duvet?
We have at home a goose feather duvet, we bought it a few years ago and it’s about time to get a new one but I wanted to find another alternative and this is why I’m happy to read your article today.
A friend told me about the use of different fibers to make duvets that can keep people warm during cold winter nights, living in Canada, we use to get a few days with really cold temperatures during winter and when we sleep our bedroom can get cold, as we use a feather duvet, we don’t even notice the change of temperatures during those cold nights.
But as we at home have talked about being more fair to animals, I don’t want to get a new duvet made from animals, so the idea to get a duvet made with plants fibers makes a better idea for me. After reading your article I will talk with my husband and I think we will find the winner!
If you want a duvet made from plant fibers, then have a look at cotton and bamboo. This is where you can read more about organic cotton and also the use of bamboo in fabrics.
I hope this helps and please let me know if you need some suggestions.
I have used a Duvet for years. I used the cheapest I could find thinking it would be OK. Once you use one of the better ones you sure know the difference.
Everyone needs sleep. Most think they are getting it until they try one of these. When sleeping on a silk filed duvet, I am a lot less restless, I am not tossing and turning all night. The quality of sleep is two fold than what I was getting before.
After a long day of work, needing rest, there is nothing like falling into bed with a duvet on the mattress. It feels like sinking into a cloud and being nestled in the cool comfort from the natural silk.
I would recommend one of these to anyone who wants to sleep better.
Thanks for the great find!
Thanks for your kind comments and I love my silk duvet as it hugs my body and keeps me cool in summer and warm in winter. One of the best investments in bedding that I ever made.
This is an Extremely informative and educational site you have here. I always knew about silk and think I might have had a cheap silk set years ago but found any chafed skin rubbed on it. I wonder why that was. Have shied away since then but maybe I need this kind of material? Maybe when my finances improve I will look at a sheet set. Very informative thank you!
Thank you for your kind comment. If you say that you had a cheap silk set and chafed skin rubbed on it, then it sounds to me as if it was an artificial silk. Natural silk is hypoallergenic and silky smooth, and nurtures the skin rather than harm it.
Synthetic fibers like acrylic and nylon can look like silk, but the chemicals in any man made synthetic fabric can harm the skin and does harm the environment.
I hope this helps, Liné