Stainless steel is one of the safest food storage containers and a great alternative to plastic. Reduce your plastic use and choose a stainless steel food storage container. So get rid of cheap plastic containers that are bad for your health, easily warp and clutter our land fills with plastic waste. So if you are wondering are stainless steel containers safe for food storage? Yes, they are indeed safe.
Discover why is plastic bad for your health and the environment in the Ultimate Guide to the Safest Food Storage containers.
What is Stainless Steel?
Wikipedia describes stainless steel as a family of iron based alloys that contain a minimum of approximately 11% chromium. This composition prevents iron from rusting, and also provides heat-resistant properties. Specific types of stainless steel are often designated by a three digit number, like 304 stainless steel.
Resistance to corrosion can be increased by:
- increasing the chromium level to above 11%,
- Addition of 8% or more of nickel, and
- the addition of molybdenum.
Types of Stainless Steel
Stainless steel comes in different grades
- Type 304: The best known grade of stainless steel is type 304, which is also known as 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel.
- 18/8 stainless steel has a composition of 18% chromium and 8% nickel.
- 18/10 stainless steel, which is also known as surgical steel, has a composition of 18% chromium and 10% nickel.
- Type 316: The second most common stainless steel is Type 316., which has an addition of 2% molybdenum. This provides greater resistance to acids and localized corrosion caused by chloride ions.
- 410 stainless steel has chromium content of 11.5% – 13.5% and 0.75% nickel.
Advantages and Properties of Stainless Steel
- Stainless steel is durable and aesthetically pleasing
- It has heat-resistant properties
- Can be steam cleaned and sterilized, making it ideal in infant feeding and medical equipment.
- It is resistant to staining and corrosion.
- Stainless steel is low maintenance.
Let’s explore some options of a stainless steel food storage container. From kitchen counter canister sets, to bento lunch boxes to stainless steel reusable water bottles, they are all some safest food storage containers.
4-Piece Stainless Steel Airtight Canister Set
Four different sizes are included in this air tight canister set with transparent lids. It contains no dangerous chemicals and are waterproof and easy to clean and use. Perfect for kitchen counter storage of tea, coffee, sugar, flour etc. and comes with a clear acrylic lid with a clamping locking.
- The airtight design has a rubber seal that will stay in place and connect to the edge of the canister. This would prevent air to enter, protecting the hermetic seal of the jar.
- The 4-Piece canister set includes these sizes:
- 4.7 inch x 3.54 inch ( 28 fl oz)
- 4.7 inch x 4.72 inch ( 32 fl oz)
- 4.7 inch x 5.9 inch ( 38 fl oz)
- 4.7 inch x 7.48 inch ( 65 fl oz)
- Airtight canister protects the contents from insects and moisture and also ensure they remain fresh for a long time.
- Easy to use and the stainless steel kitchen canisters are made with a wide 4.7 inch opening, making it easy to fill them and use a full size 1 cup measuring scoops.
- The canisters are dishwasher-safe, however it is recommended to hand wash them to protect the finish.
- One piece design will not hide any dirt and a quick wipe with a damp cloth is sufficient for a light cleaning.
- Airtight canisters are made of good quality 410 stainless steel with excellent rubber seals and clasps, making them safe for everyday use.
- The silicone gasket contains no BPA, have no smelly odor, and no toxic chemicals will be released during use.
- Clear lid allows for easy viewing of canister contents, saving you more time.
- They are great for storing cookies, coffee, flour, sugar, nuts, coarse cereals and more.
- This practical canisters set is perfect for various applications like kitchen counter top, restaurants, bistros, pubs, cafe, pantry and so on.
4-Piece Stainless Steel Food Storage Container Set with Glass Lids
Four sizes are included in this set that is perfect for use in the kitchen, restaurants, pantry, cafe or office. Safely store your dry ingredients without moisture or insects getting to it.
- A functional and durable solution to keep your tea, coffee, sugar, pasta, rice, biscuits and oats fresh for longer
- Satin finish stainless steel with hinged lids and top spring clips.
- Canister sizes: 1.85 liters, 1.5 liters, 1.1 liters and 0.7 liters.
- Electroplated gaskets have clear airtight lids to help preserve stored food items, keeping your food fresh and protected.
- Ideal for organizing your kitchen cupboards as well as looking stylish on display.
- Manufacturer 2 Year warranty included.
If you are in the UK or EU, visit Amazon here to order your stainless steel food storage containers.
Stainless Steel Bento Box Lunch Box with Stainless Steel Lid
The stainless steel 3 tiered food storage container is perfect for using as a lunch box, taking snacks on a picnic or storing food in the fridge. Suitable for boys, girls, teenagers and adults. The eco friendly food storage containers can be taken to school or work.
- 100% Stainless steel lunch box have 3 tiers to keep food separate and tasty.
- The perfect size to carry your lunch to school or work with a total capacity of six and a quarter cups of food.
- Size: 6 and 1/2 inches long x 5 inches wide and 3 and an eighth inch high.
- Environmentally friendly with not a touch of plastic, so no BPA, PVC, BPS or phthalates go into making this food container.
- Easy to clean, simply put it in the dishwasher or cleans easily with soap and water.
- Buy with confidence as you will get a warranty. If you are not a hundred percent happy, simply return it for a full refund by contacting Bklyn Bento via the company’s online Warranty Page.
- The only drawback is that they are not leak proof, so it is not good for holding liquids like soups. To overcome that, choose a reusable water bottle that will also keep your soup warm. Or select a bento box with a leak proof bamboo lid.
Shop Amazon’s Choice for stainless steel lunch boxes here if you are in the USA.
If you are in the UK or EU, order your bento stainless steel lunch boxes here.
Stainless Steel Bento Box with Silicone Lids
These metal food storage boxes come with leak proof silicone lids and are perfect to be used for lunch or picnics. They are great for portion control, snacks, condiments, dressings or separate portions for meals. Use it for baby and kids meals, teenagers or adults, or store food and leftovers at home.
Perfect for use when ordering a take-away meal, your lunch at the office or school, or for your “doggie bag” from a restaurant.
- This set comes with four pieces:
- The largest holds 21oz, so perfect for your main. 5 and an eighth inches x 2 and a half inches.
- The 2nd largest holds 13oz, great to use with the 21oz container for a side dish. 4 and three eighths inches x 2 and a quarter inches.
- Next, the 3rd holds 7oz and is perfect for snacks. 3 and a half inches x 1 and seven eighths inches.
- The smallest holds 1.5oz. It’s perfect for condiments and salad dressing. 2 and a quarter inches x 1 and a quarter inch.
- Surgical grade stainless steel is used.
- Easy to open, even for kids.
- Totally free of any harmful chemicals like Phthalates, BPA, PVC and BPS.
- Silicone lids are made from 100% pure LFGB* Silicone, which is the highest quality available. Unfortunately, a lot of silicone has “filler” mixed in with the silicone, because it is a lot cheaper to make. These silicone lids do not contain any “fillers”.
- 100% leak proof lids, so you can pack liquids, even upside down.
- Stacking – when the containers are in use, they can be stacked for easy transport and storage.
- Nesting – the four pieces will fit inside one another for space-saving storage when not in use.
- Warranty means you can buy with confidence. Love it, or return it for a full refund. No hassles with processing and forms to print and mail, simply contact Bklyn Bento via the company’s online Warranty Page.
* LFGB = Lebensmittel Und Futtermittelgesetzbuch. There are two main silicone standards that are used for food, namely LFGB food grade and FDA food grade. They are both safe for human use. LFGB is a German standard and test that are conducted are more extensive than FDA tests. LFGB is more expensive, which means FDA is more widely used.
Pinch test for silicone: simply pinch and twist the silicone, if it turns white when pinched and twisted, it means it is not a 100% silicone and fillers are being used.
Get Amazon’s Choice for bento stainless steel food storage box with silicone lids in the USA here.
Stainless Steel Food Storage Containers with BPA Free Lids
304 Stainless steel, also known as 18/8 stainless steel, is used to make the JaceBox containers, with BPA free plastic snap-on lids. This set consists of five sizes, but they are also available in other variations and sizes. The leak proof stainless steel food storage container is perfect as a lunch box and great for meal prepping.
- Containers are made from the toughest 304 grade (18 / 8) stainless steel.
- Virtually indestructible, is earth friendly and can be recycled.
- This set consists of 5 sizes:
- XXlarge 95oz / 2800ml,
- Xlarge 56oz / 1650ml,
- Large 28oz / 850ml,
- Medium 18oz / 550ml and
- Small 12oz / 350ml
- Lids are made from BPA free plastic with a silicone ring, for a watertight seal that is leak proof and spill proof.
- Snap-on lids lock out air, keeping food fresh for longer.
- Stackable containers easily fit into each other when empty to save storage space.
- Reusable stainless steel lunch containers save you money and space while making it easy for kids to access snacks, lunch, and meals on the go.
- The smaller Bento Boxes are great as a lunch box or taking to a picnic party. Easily fit into your lunch bag or backpack.
- Lightweight and strong making them convenient to carry around.
- JaceBox food containers easily pop into the top rack of your dishwashers.
- Has odor and taste repelling technology, meaning your food storage containers always smell as fresh and clean as the day you got them.
- Safe to be used in the fridge and freezer and the stainless steel containers can be used in the oven without the lids.
- This super set with 5 compartments is perfect for family and friends gatherings. Perfect for leftovers, picnics and as travel containers too.
- Money back guarantee so you can buy with the reassurance that if anything is faulty or you are not happy with the product, you will get a full refund.
The stainless steel snap seal containers with lids are also available in other sizes. The transparent lids make it easy to see the content.
Perfect and durable for year round use and easy enough that kids can open the lids themselves when they take them to school.
If you are in the USA, get Amazon’s Choice for stainless steel containers with lids here.
If you are in the UK or EU, get your equivalent Amazon’s Choice for stainless steel lunchbox here.
Stainless Steel Reusable Water Bottle
Stainless steel is one of the safest food storage containers for keeping your water fresh and without contamination. Chilly’s stainless steel reusable water bottle has a leak proof lid and is free of BPA. It will keep liquids cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours.
- Double walled vacuum insulated water bottle.
- The vacuum insulation maintains the temperature inside the bottle, regardless of the temperature outside. Will keep drinks cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours.
- High grade 304 food grade stainless steel is resistant to rust.
- Metal construction inside and outside provides a long-lasting and fresh tasting flavor.
- Leak proof screw top lid has an airtight seal, thereby eliminating accidental spills and leaks.
- BPA-free, phthalate-free and free of harmful chemicals and toxins, making these reusable water bottles a healthy choice.
- Available in three sizes:
- 260 ml (9.15 ounces): 20.6 cm x 6.4 cm (8.11 inches x 2.25 inches) and weighs 0.27 kg
- 500 ml (17 ounces): 26 cm x 7 cm (11.24 inches x 2.76 inches) and weighs 0.36 kg
- 750 ml (26.4 ounces): 30 cm x 7.6 cm (11.81 inches x 3 inches) and weighs 0.50 kg
- The two-ply construction eliminates condensation and water build-up on the outside of the bottle. It means no water rings or slipping out of your hands, so easy to take them traveling or on the go.
- The revolutionary design is lightweight, stylish and easy to handle featuring a narrow mouth for spill-free drinking.
- Fits most cup holders and makes a perfect travel companion
Get your Amazon Bestseller stainless steel reusable water bottle here if you are in the UK or EU and this is where you can get your Chilly’s reusable water bottle if you are in the USA.
How to take Care of Stainless Steel
Caring for a stainless steel food storage container is very straightforward:
- Wash with a neutral soap or cleaner and dry them after washing.
- Do not scratch the surface with hard material such as steel scrubber.
- Store your containers in a cool dry place and avoid direct sunlight.
- Avoid storing foods that are high in acid, alkali or salt for a long period of time.
How to avoid Stainless Steel Rust
- In humid conditions, humidity or water can build up between the stainless steel container and any other material, causing damage to the surface of the stainless steel.
- Acid can corrode the stainless steel, so foods that are high in acids, like tomatoes and lemons, can damage the surface of the stainless steel if it is stored in it for a long period of time. Acidic foods should be stored in glass containers instead.
- Salt can also cause corrosion of the stainless steel surface, so once again store salt in glass or ceramic containers.
- Chemicals like sulphuric acid, carbon dioxide and other pollutants in the environment, will cause chemical corrosion of the stainless steel, so be aware of that if you live in an area with very high air pollution.
- Don’t use abrasive materials or products when you clean your stainless steel, as it will scratch and damage the surface and rust can them get in.
Final Thoughts About Stainless Steel Food Storage Containers
It’s scary how many food containers still contain chemicals like BPA, BPS and Phthalates. We believe eventually this stuff will be regulated and all food containers will be made with “clean material”. Until them, best to stay away from plastic. When you buy food storage containers, steer clear of chemicals that are used in plastic.
Best to keep your plastic in your wallet, not in your food. The best reason why you want to use a stainless steel reusable water bottle and not plastic, is that no harmful chemicals will leach into your water. So if you are still wondering are stainless steel containers safe for food storage? The answer is yes, they are indeed safe.
Discover more choices in the Best Glass Food Containers with Lids. If you have any questions or suggestions about a stainless steel food storage container, them please leave your comments below, and I will get back to you.