The best rated cloth face masks would be reusable, washable breathable face masks. A breathable organic face mask is made from natural and eco friendly fibers. Stylish reusable face covers that match your outfit, are awesome.
The incorrect disposal of protective clothing such as masks and gloves, means that an estimated 1.5 billion disposable masks will end up in the ocean this year. Masks, together with plastic gloves and PPE, is suffocating the ocean floor. So, we have to look at better alternatives than disposable face masks.
Nature is being treated as a giant garbage bag and the amount of disposable face masks that end up in our waterways, just prove that. The best reusable face covers, and 100% cotton washable face masks, are far more sustainable choices.
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links, without any additional cost to you. It helps me to maintain this website and bring you more eco friendly and sustainable news.
Key Considerations For The Best Rated Cloth Face Masks
Reusable cloth face masks are available in a wide range of materials. The tighter the weave of the fabric, the more protection it provides. But, you also want a mask that is breathable, so that it is comfortable to wear.
- Cotton is the most popular choice for a cloth face mask. It can be fairly thick. but still breathable. You can often tell how protective 100% cotton washable face masks are, by looking at the thread count. The higher the thread count, the less porous the fabric is, and therefore more protective. Cotton and natural fibers are the most breathable options.
- Silk is a good fabric for stylish reusable face covers. It is good at repelling water, so helps to prevent droplets from penetrating the mask.
- Hemp material is anti-microbial and naturally resistant to mold and mildew. It is breathable and moisture wicking. This is especially important when you are wearing something covering your nose and mouth.
- Recycled polyester is widely used in active and workout wear because it is lightweight and breathable. It also repels water, so it is good for the outer layer of a face mask.
Generally speaking, avoid fabrics that are too stretchy, as it can be too porous. You want an eco friendly face mask that is kind to your face, and the planet.
Layers and Filters
The more layers a mask has, the better it can contain droplets. For a mask to be effective, it should have at least 2 layers.
Some cloth masks have a filter layer between the fabric layers. Cloth masks can come with a filter, or you can buy filters separately. Common household products that can be used as filters are coffee filters, unused vacuum cleaner bags and a paper towel.
The World Health Organization recommends 3 layers for the best reusable face covers.
- The inner layer touching your face, should absorb droplets. Good fabrics are cotton or natural fibers.
- The middle layer can be non-woven fabric or a filter.
- The outer layer should repel droplets, so recycled polyester or nylon, or silk.
Washable breathable face masks must fit properly to provide adequate protection. It must cover your nose and mouth completely, and extend past your mouth by at least an inch / 2.5cm. It should hook under you chin to keep it in position.
The mask should be fitting close to your face, but not so tight that it makes breathing difficult. There should not be any gaps along the side of you face.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has guidelines for the correct ways of wearing face coverings.
Tip: when you first receive your new face mask, wash it before use as it will sanitize it.
Features Of Washable Breathable Face Masks
Reusable face masks encourages healthy hygiene, to keep hands away from your face, while in public spaces. And that goes for kids too.
For the masks to stay on your face, it needs to have a fastener. Most masks have elastic loops that go over the ears. These are easy to put on and pull off and offer a comfortable fit.
Tie closures that fasten behind the head, can also work. Although they are more difficult to fasten, especially if you are in a hurry, it can provide a good fit.
Metal Nose Strips
A flexible metal strip in the top edge, enables you to shape the mask to conform to the top of your nose. It prevents the mask from slipping down, and also prevents droplets from escaping.
If you wear glasses, this can be a very important feature, as it helps to prevent your lenses from fogging up.
A filter offers an additional layer of protection to keep droplets from escaping. Some cloth masks have a built in pocket where a filter can be inserted between the cloth layers.
So, it is a good idea to select a mask that has the option to add a filter. This is especially handy with masks that only have 2 fabric layers.
The best reusable face covers vary in price, according to the features and layers of fabric.
- Cheap masks are priced between $1 and $3 and only have 1 layer. This is very ineffective.
- Mid range masks are priced between $3 and $10 and typically have at least 2 fabric layers. Many masks in the mid range, will have a pocket for a filter. Some will also have a bendable metal nose strip for a better fit.
- Masks priced over $10, will have at least 3 layers of fabric. It will have a pocket for a filter and many will also include the filter. Most will also have a bendable nose strip.
Best Stylish Reusable Face Covers
Washable reusable face masks save resources and reduce waste. With so many cloth face masks to pick from, choosing the right option can be a challenge.
To encourage little ones to wear masks while in public places, organic face masks kids sizes come in cute prints. By making designs more “tempting”, we can protect them with imagination.
Here we have selected the best eco friendly, washable breathable face masks, so that you can stay safe in style, while also protecting the planet.
PrAna is a North American brand that only uses sustainable fabrics and ethical practices to produce their clothing and accessories. They do the full range from underwear and active wear, to recycled wool sweaters and outdoor gear.
PrAna uses deadstock fabric to produce cool cloth face masks. The breathable organic face mask is made as per the CDC’s recommendations, using eco friendly fabrics.
- The best rated cloth face masks are reversible.
- It has adjustable straps with soft plush elastic for additional comfort.
- Straps can be adjusted by tying a knot at the required length.
- Masks are washable and reusable.
- Fabric content vary from organic cotton, Tencell lyocell, and blend of organic cotton and recycled polyester.
- Available in S/M or L/XL.
- The stylish reusable face covers are made by their partners in Fair Trade Certified factories.
- 3 pack at $20 is a super deal. Each pack contains an assortment of colors that are all different.
Made Trade is a woman-owned, family-run company based in Carrboro, NC. The stylish reusable face covers are made from recycled hemp and GOTS certified organic cotton. Made Trade is climate neutral certified.
These are the features of the breathable organic face mask:
- The 2-layer fabric face mask has an interior filter pocket (filter not included, but coffee filters work very well)
- Outer layer is a blend of recycled hemp and GOTS certified organic cotton.
- Interior layer that touches your face, is made from soft organic cotton undyed poplin.
- Comfortable elastic ear loops make it easy and quick to put it on and take it off.
- Elastic is OEKO-TEX certified.
- The weight is breathable and feels great against your skin.
- Pleats will expand to form to your face.
- Organic face masks kids sizes are available, as well as adult small/youth and adult sizes.
- Face masks adhere to the guidelines for face covering of CDC and Kaiser Permanente.
Made Trade is a member of 1% for the Planet. So, 1% of every purchase is donated to an environmental non-profit cause.
Face masks are hand made in Portland, Oregon, providing employment for people affected by the pandemic. So if you want washable breathable face masks made USA, then Made Trade fits the bill.
Thought is an all-natural company that produces timeless fashion using organic cotton and sustainable fabrics. The stylish reusable face covers are made from signature Thought prints, using production off-cuts. Thus, it helps to reduce fabric waste when garments are made.
It also means you can select 100% cotton washable face masks to match your outfit. Features of the breathable organic face mask include these:
- 100% organic cotton
- Double layer with a pocket to fit PM2.5 filter (filter not included)
- Boned so that you can adjust it for a perfect fit.
- One size suitable for teenagers and adults.
- Elasticated straps over the ears.
- Machine washable.
- Very affordably priced at £5.95 each.
The masks do not make any claims of anti-viral protection, anti-microbial protection or infection prevention or control.
Using production waste is a great way to prevent textile waste of going into landfill, thus helping the environment further.
Soul Flower is an eco friendly and sustainable brand that is best known for their boho styles and yoga clothing. They are based in Minneapolis, USA and only use sustainable and ethical materials and practices.
The cool cloth face masks are reversible and include neck gaiters, ear masks and boho headbands. These can all be worn over the mouth and nose.
These are the features of the breathable organic face mask.
- Consists of 2 layers of breathable fabric.
- The eco friendly moisture wicking fabric is a blend of 30% recycled cotton, 30% cotton and 40% recycled polyester. .
- Ear straps gently loops around the ears.
- Reversible: one side has a hand screen printed design and the other side is blank.
- One size fits most.
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Priced at $6 each make these best rated cloth face masks very affordable.
Green Sprouts is an American brand that is well known for their reusable swim diapers and eco friendly tableware for kids. They provide a full range of healthy, trusted and proven everyday baby essentials that support the development of kids.
Green Sprouts also makes adjustable reusable face masks for kids and adults.
These are the features of the washable breathable face masks.
- The stylish reusable face covers consist of 2 fabric layers and a middle layer:
- Outer layer is water resistant polyester.
- Middle layer is activated charcoal for additional coverage.
- Inner layer is moisture wicking polyester that wicks moisture away from the skin. This provides added comfort.
- Elastic ear loop straps stretches comfortable around the ears.
- The best reusable face covers are designed to position around the nose and face for a snug and smooth fit.
- Available in 4 different sizes: child, youth/adult small, adult medium and adult large.
- The cool cloth face masks are available in multiple colors.
- Save money and buy a pack of 3.
10% of all Green Sprouts washable breathable face masks sold, are donated to groups and organizations that are helping those in need.
Silk is perfect for stylish reusable face covers that can be worn for any occasion. Available for men and women, silk is ideal for sensitive skin and maskne.
These are the features of the breathable organic face mask:
- 100% mulberry silk, not satin.
- Natural organic fabric.
- Handmade with an interior filter pocket for optional filter inserts.
- Adjustable ear loops for a custom fit.
- Comfortable and breathable.
- Perfect for summer use.
- Available in a wide selection of colors, to match any outfit.
- Filters are not included.
Optional services that are offered include: Customization for small faces, youth and teens and a nose wire can be added for those that wear glasses.
Features of the cool cloth face masks include these:
- Reusable cloth face masks are made from breathable 100% cotton fabric.
- Some designs are made with a combination of cotton and rayon.
- 3 layers with a middle layer to insert a PM25 filter cloth face masks.
- Filter is not included.
- Adjustable ear straps for maximum comfort.
- Flexible nose band wire for best fit.
- Organic face masks kids sizes are available, as well as adult sizes.
- The stylish reusable face covers come in more than 150 fun designs.
- Buy the best rated cloth face masks individually, or to save money, get them in packs of 3 or 5.
- How do I wash face masks? Washable breathable face masks can be washed in the washing machine with your normal laundry. Refer to the guidelines provided by the manufacturer and use the highest temperature setting recommended for the fabric.
- How many masks do I need? You need a minimum of 2 face masks, as they need washing on a regular basis. If you don’t do laundry on a daily basis, you would need enough to last between laundry days, So 5 or more could be required.
- How should I store my face masks? Fold you face masks so that the interior is not exposed to contaminants. Carry additional masks in a cloth or plastic wallet to protect them. Store them in a cool, dry spot where no mold or mildew can develop.
Reusable cloth face masks are not medical grade masks. Due to sanitary reasons, reusable face masks are non-returnable products.
Final Thoughts On Best Reusable Face Covers
If your cloth face masks has an insert pocket for a filter, you can buy filters on Amazon.
Milton 2.5 PM activated carbon filters have 5 layers of airborne contaminant filtering and measure 4.7 inches by 3.1 inches. They are effective at capturing particles that are up to 2.5 micrometers.
The best rated cloth face masks save resources and reduce waste. Washable breathable face masks can be worn multiple times. They are machine washable, so can be sanitized on a regular basis.
Masks made with only synthetic materials, will not allow your face to breathe, causing uncomfortable sweating.
If you have any questions or comments about 100% cotton face masks, please leave them below and I will get back to you.