Glass is one of the best choices when it comes to the safest food storage containers. To keep food fresh when we store it, it needs to be covered with an airtight seal. Here we will have a look at the best glass food containers with lids, including Pyrex glass food containers and also glass containers with bamboo lids, cork lids and glass lids.
We have seen why is plastic bad for your health and also the environment. BPA’a and phthalates from plastic food storage containers can leak into food or liquids. The risk increases when the plastic container is heated, leading to disturbing health hazards like cancer and endocrine imbalances.
- Chemicals from plastic containers can leak into food and even more so when it is exposed to heat.
- Never heat food in the microwave using plastic.
- Steam and heat from the dishwasher and even ultraviolet rays from the sun, can also unlock harmful chemicals.
- Acidic foods like tomatoes, can interact with plastic, leading to toxic chemicals leaking into the food. Don’t store anything acidic in plastic, use glass instead.
Let’s have a closer look at the best glass food containers with lids and the different types of lids that are available. These containers and jars have different roles in the kitchen and house, so it is not a case of one size fits all, you might find you need one of each.
Why choose Glass?
- Glass is chemically inert, which means it won’t leak chemicals or toxic substances into your food.
- It is nonporous, so it won’t absorb any flavors or odors.
- Most types of glass are dishwasher safe.
- Tempered glass, like Pyrex, can be used in the oven.
- Most glass can be used in the microwave.
- Food grade glass, which is tempered, can be used at low temperatures (freezer) and high temperatures (oven).
- Glass can easily be recycled
- As glass is clear, you can easily see through it to see what is stored in it.
Always check with the manufacturer that the glass is suitable for use in the oven, microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe. Even if it is safe for use in the freezer, leave space at the top for the food to expand when it freezes. If there is not enough space, the glass can still crack because of the food expanding when it is frozen.
Drawbacks of glass for food storage containers:
- Glass is breakable.
- It is relatively heavy, so not the lightest to travel around with.
We have such a vast choice of glass food containers with lids, so let’s have a look at some of the best options.
1. Glass Food Storage Containers with Bamboo Lids
The healthiest and most eco friendly glass containers that contain zero plastic, are those with bamboo lids. If you are looking for safe food storage containers with airtight lids, you cannot go wrong with these that also look after our planet.
- Bamboo is made from natural materials.
- Bamboo has natural antibacterial properties.
- It is free of formaldehyde and BPA’s.
- Bamboo will not leach chemicals of toxins into your food.
This 4 piece set is a real value for money set and consists of this:
- Borosilicate glass storage containers come with durable bamboo lids and a food grade silicon ring.
- The four sizes are:
- one 370 ml (1.5 cups),
- one 640 ml (2.7 cups),
- one 1,040 ml (4.4 cups) and
- one 1,520ml (6.4 cups).
- Non-toxic, BPA free, phthalate free, biodegradable and 100% recyclable glass storage food containers.
- Airtight seal has been tested by filling and sealing the container, and then tipping it upside down. It can be jostled in the fridge without worry.
- Glass storage containers with bamboo lids will preserve food for longer, keeping it fresh and safe.
- Removable silicone seals work perfect for busy, happy families that have better things to do than clean up messes in the fridge.
- Borosilicate glass containers can be used in the oven up to a temperature of 520°F, and still retain their good look.
- Microwave and freezer safe,
- Glass containers are dishwasher safe
- Convenient space-saving design means the containers can nest to stack in a smaller area.
- Hand wash bamboo lids, so don’t put them in the dishwasher
- Bamboo lids are safe for the fridge and freezer, but not the oven.
- Bamboo lids can double as suave cutting boards.
- lf you are not 100% satisfied with your Greener Chef food glass containers, you will receive prompt refund.
Select these and you will be supporting a small, family owned brand. Buy Amazon’s Choice for glass containers with bamboo lids here. This would be my first choice when it comes to the best glass food containers with lids.
2. Glass Food Storage Jars With Natural Bamboo Lids
These beautiful and stylish jars will look very good on your kitchen counter top or work surface and even the office.
Safely store your food in the pantry in these glass jars with bamboo lids. This multi size set consists of 5 pieces:
- Suitable for storing pasta, rice, flour, sugar, coffee, grains and legumes, cereals, nuts, baking ingredients, cookies, snacks, spices, candy or even liquids.
- The 5 piece set consists of these sizes:
- One large 10 x 3.9 inches jar.
- Two medium 8.1 x 3.9 inches jars,
- Two medium 4.1 x 3.9 inches jars.
- Durable high barosilicate glass container which is microwave and dishwasher safe.
- Bamboo lid is hygienic with a food grade silicon seal which is non-toxic and keeps moisture away. It is dishwasher and microwave safe.
Check the price and availability on Amazon here.
3. Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers with BPA Free Lids
Pyrex glass food containers have been around for more than a hundred years. They can be used in the oven and microwave and is dishwasher safe. Because it is resistant to stain and odors, it stays clean and preserves your food’s fresh flavors.
- Solve your storage problems with this multi-size set of glass dishes for pantry, fridge or freezer, with airtight lids.
- This is an 18 piece set consisting of
- One 1-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids,
- One 6-Cup Rectangular Glass Storage Containers with Lids,
- One 7-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids,
- Two 2-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids,
- Two 4-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids
- Two 3-Cup Rectangular Glass Storage Containers with Lids.
- Durable high-quality tempered glass is dishwasher, freezer, microwave and preheated oven safe
- Nonporous glass won’t absorb food odors, flavors, or stains
- Lids are BPA free plastic that fits securely and are safe for freezer, microwave and top-rack dishwasher.
- 2-year limited warranty on glass and plastic lids.
- Made in the USA
Get Amazon’s Choice for small Pyrex bowls with lids here.
4. Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers 10-Piece Set
These versatile Pyrex glass food containers have airtight, BPA free lids, so can be used in the fridge, freezer or storage cupboard. The glass dishes can be used in the oven.
This set of 10 rectangular storage dishes come in 3 sizes, perfect for keeping your kitchen organized.
- This set includes:
- Two 3-cup rectangular glass storage containers with lids,
- Two 6-cup rectangular glass storage containers with lids, and
- One 11-cup rectangular glass storage container with a lid.
- Durable high-quality tempered glass is dishwasher, freezer, microwave and preheated oven safe
- Nonporous glass won’t absorb food odors, flavors, or stains.
- 2-year limited warranty on glass and plastic lids.
- BPA free secure-fit plastic lids are freezer, microwave and top-rack dishwasher safe
- Made in the USA
This is also available in sets with different sizes and round container rather than rectangular or square.
Get Amazon’s Choice for square Pyrex food containers here.
5. Glass Storage Mason Jars with Hinged Lids
These 32oz glass canister mason jars have airtight hinged lids, making them an awesome choice for glass food containers with lids. The jars have a stylish design that is ideal for every home and business, .
The square glass jars are perfect if you are making your own jams and preserves, but also suitable as food storage containers. Set of 4 offers this:
- The jars have a multi functional use and are the ideal size for storing pasta, rice, tea and coffee, beans, spices, herbs, jams and preserves, cookies and more.
- The capacity is 32 OZ and comes in a set of 4 jars that are perfect for everyday home use.
- Glass jars are non-toxic and free of BPAs so are absolutely healthy and safe for your family.
- It provides superior resistance to breakage.
- Glass jars are easy to wash and can be reused again and again.
- Glass does not discolor, retain smells, or leach chemicals into food.
- Each set comes safely packaged in a box with dividers to prevent breakage while shipping.
- Flip-top lids are easy to open and close, and the wide mouth makes it easy to fill and dispense.
- Stainless steel locking clamp is equipped with a silicone gasket, to make sure each glass container is well sealed. This ensures that your food stay clean, fresh and safe while in storage.
- Use the container to serve coffee, tea, cocktails or create art.
- The square glass jars include chalkboard labels and chalk marker, to label each of your jars with its contents so you’ll never have to play the guessing game.
Get Amazon’s Choice for mason storage jar here.
6. Best for Canning: Ball Wide Mouth Mason Jars
Ball is the most recognized name in home canning and preserving and has been around since the early 1900s. The Ball jars represent everything you could want in a Mason jar. It is made in the USA, thereby supporting local jobs, using sturdy American-made glass.
The mason jars are perfect for canning, pickling, fermenting or to be used as home decor. The 16 oz (473 ml) capacity jars come in a pack of either two, four, six or twelve jars and this is what it offers:
- The jars come with airtight lids and rubber bands.
- Freezing, microwave and dishwasher safe.
- The 16 ounce (473 ml) jars are perfect for canning, pickling, preserving, and fermenting fruits and veggies that can be canned and sealed for up to 18 months.
- Measurement markings are embossed on the side for precise filling.
- Safe to freeze with 12 ounces (355 ml) of content.
- Label line for writing dates and identifying contents.
- Wide mouth opening makes it easy to fill and dispense and cleaning.
- Durable soda-lime glass is free of toxins, ensuring food grade quality.
- Rubber ring creates a hermetic seal. The time-tested sealing compound ensures a quality air-tight seal with each lid.
- The lid and bands allows you to test with dull sounds for best seal.
- These glass food containers with lids are also suitable for serving beverages, cocktails, smoothies, parfaits, desserts.
- USDA approved.
- Heat-tempered durability for water bath canning.
- Clear glass makes it easy to see the content.
- Bundled with a Sewanta jar opener.
- Decor and craft with a vintage style jar for parties and displayed centerpieces, or use it as a unique gift.
- Jars measure 5 inches (12.7 cm) in height, 3 inches (7.62 cm) at the bottom and 3.4 inches (8.6 cm) at the top.
It is also available in different sizes and the twelve pack will give you the best value for money. Get Amazon’s Choice for canning supplies jars here.
7. Glass Bottles With Cork Lids
I love cork lids when it comes to glass food containers with lids. They look stylish and also make great gifts.
These 3.4 oz mini mason jars come in a set of 12 bottles and are perfect for storing small amounts of food, but have a diverse amount of other applications.
- The bottles are made from 3 mm thick heavy-duty, clear white glass which is strong and attractive.
- Thick cork caps fit easily to ensure your content stays fresh while looking rustically charming.
- The 40mm diameter wide neck makes it easy to fill the jars without any fuss.
- Ideal for story small items such as chocolate, candy, nuts or even spices and herbs.
- Perfect for use in the bathroom or guest room to store cotton wool balls, guest soaps or small gifts.
- Comes with 20 brown paper labels and a big bundle of string to make personalized labels and tags and for convenient, perfect presentation.
- The glass containers are wide enough to be home to small candles, with enough space to handle the heat and enough height to cover the wick & flame.
- Glass containers can also be used for wedding favors and parties, apothecary, and perfect for DIY gifts and home crafts.
Larger sizes are also available and you can shop Amazon’s Choice for decorative jars here.
8. Glass Spice Jars With Cork Lids
These reusable glass food containers with lids are perfect to be used as spice and herb jars. This set contains 12 bottles, but different options are available.
- Package includes: 12pieces of 150 ml glass spice jars (including cork) with 100pcs blank square stickers and 1 test tube brush.
- Material: high quality glass, clear and shiny.
- Lid is thick, high quality cork.
- Quantity is 150 ml
- Overall size of the bottles:
- height without cork: 10.4cm (4.1 inches),
- height with cork: 11.2cm (4.4 inches),
- bottom diameter: 5.7cm (2.25 inches),
- opening diameter: 4.4cm (1.73 inches).
- The high quality cork stoppers ensure a dry seal.
- They are ideal for storing spices, herbs, aromatic tea blends and baked food ingredients.
- Advantages: Considering the shape of the glass spice jars, we have specially provided a test tube brush to clean the corners of the inside of the container,
- They are also suitable for adding vinegar and oil, wine, aperitif, soap or even decorative sand.
- Of course, cute and beautiful glass containers can also be used for table decorations for various activities.
Shop Amamzon’s Choice for herb bottles with cork lids here.
9. Glass Food Storage Canisters With Glass Lids
This set of apothecary glass food storage jars have airtight lids and are ideal for use in the kitchen or bathroom. They come in a set of 3 jars and labels are included.
This is what you can expect from the set of 3 storage containers:
- Glass jars are see-through which makes it easy to view contents at a glance.
- The 3 Jar set includes these:
- one 54 oz jar,
- one 43 oz jar, and
- one 34 oz jar.
- Storage jars are crafted from clear glass.
- The jars have a cylindrical silhouette.
- Glass lids are air tight, thanks to a silicone ring which ensures that food inside the container is safely stored and kept fresh.
- Great for storing cookies, sugar, flour, pasta, rice, cereal and other kitchen staples.
- Keep them lined up on the kitchen counters to keep dry ingredients safely stowed and look attractive at the same time.
- Easy to record the content on the chalkboard front.
- Use then in your bathroom to store cotton wool, soaps, sponges, or just keep them on your vanity for holding small accessories.
- Put them to use in your work space to store pens and pencils or even paperclips.
- Easy to care for, just place the glass jar in the dishwasher.
Get your Amazon’s Choice for Kitchen Jars here.
10. Glass Water Bottle with Bamboo Lid and Silicone Sleeve
I couldn’t leave you without a choice of a reusable water bottle. I personally think it is an absolute essential, to avoid drinking water from a plastic bottle.
Getting rid of plastic water bottles is your easiest option to protect yourself from harmful chemicals leaking into the water.
Don’t use plastic water bottles, and specially not if they have been left in a car and exposed to heat, as chemicals from the plastic can leak into the water.
New research has linked that to a cause of breast cancer in women.
- Borosilicate glass drinking bottle is free of BPA, PVC, Lead, and Cadmium for safe and pure water.
- Reusable and refillable so you save plastic waste.
- Durable glass is strong and lightweight and won’t crack under extreme temperatures.
- Glass and silicone are both dishwasher safe, and always hand wash the bamboo lid.
- Natural eco-friendly product
- Convenient 20 oz size makes it easy to take everywhere.
- Colorful silicon sleeve adds style and provides protection from slips and falls.
- Available in a variety of 10 different colors.
- Bamboo lid with stainless steel insert is leak-proof.
- Food-grade silicone o-ring is a perfect mouth size for spill-free drinking.
- 90-Day lid guarantee, so if your lid breaks, we will replace it immediately, but remember to always wash the bamboo lid by hand.
Shop Amazon’s Choice for glass water bottle here.
If you can’t afford to buy new food storage containers, you can also reuse sustainable food containers. You can wash your glass pasta jars, sauerkraut containers, jam jars, etc. and use them over and over again. Reusing is always more sustainable than using disposables, or even recycling.
From Pyrex glass food containers to bamboo lids, cork lids and even glass lids, I hope to have covered them all. If you do have any questions or suggestions about the best glass food containers with lids, please leave them below and I will get back to you.
28 thoughts on “Best Glass Food Containers with Lids”
Do you have American made, eco friendly products?
I want to support my local economy as much as possible.
It is great that you want to buy local and support your local economy. You will find many eco friendly products on the site that is made in the USA. If you want baby care products, I suggest you look at Made Of that have the full range of new baby essential items, all made with natural organic materials.
If you want CBD products, Mission Farms CBD and Dr Strains CBD provides products that are made in the USA.
Vitamin A produces sustainably made swimwear and leisure wear clothing.
Green Sprouts baby products and face masks are all made in the USA.
I hope this helps. If I know what type of product you would like to buy, I can suggest more brands.
This is great information on glass containers. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject. I had no idea that plastic containers had so many side effects. The idea that chemicals leak in the food when using plastic is a reason to make a change. I love the containers with the bamboo lids and the idea that they have antibacterial properties and that food last longer in them. How awesome, that the lids can double as a cutting board. Thank you for this article. I am sharing it with family members.
Chemicals from plastic can indeed leach into the food, with a higher risk if the food or liquids are hot. Glass is one of the safest food storage containers and also looks good. You are welcome to share.
Thank you for this article and the reminder to always use glass storage containers! I was a child of the 60s, when plastic was just coming into mainstream use (anyone remember “shatter-proof containers”?) so I (still) have lots of plastic. While I won’t fill my landfill with what are still perfectly good containers, I’ve been slowly been replacing my plastic with glass. Pyrex has always been my go-to but I like the bamboo-lidded ones even better because there is no plastic at all. I definitely going to order a set of those! And I would love to use the spice jars if I knew where to get loose spice? I’ll have to look around and see what I can find.
I agree with you that replacing plastic on a gradual basis with safer food storage containers, is doable. If you have a farmer’s market in your area, you can try them for spices and herbs, or transfer from the container that you buy it in, into the glass spice jars. Hope that helps.
This post came at a perfect time for me! We are re-arranging our pantries (big family–2 large pantries).
We’ve been switching over to glass containers as our plastic ones need replacing. My goal is to go completely glass storage eventually. We use a lot of mason jars (mostly the half-gallon size) with regular lids or the reusable plastic style. I had not actually considered bamboo. I really like that idea!
I’ll be revisiting this post for ideas as we go through the pantries. Thank you for the suggestions!
I store all my dry food like pasta, cereal, flour, sugar, nuts etc. in glass and love it. It keeps the content fresh and I can see what I have at a quick glance. I am sure you will find that it works very well in your pantries.
One thing I love about the glass containers is there versatility. They can be used for so much more than just food storage, ie can go in the fridge, freezer, oven and the dishwasher, I tend to use the Mason jars for my dried foods as they preserve the contents better. I’m with you about plastic containers, the food from them does taste of the plastic. In our home we have the glass storage jars with the Bamboo lids. I have to say they were an extremely great purchase.
Glass is indeed very versatile and I also store all my dry foods in Mason jars and love it. The content is always fresh and I can see what I have.
Wow, what a wonderful review about storage containers. I love the layout and the attention to detail. It shows how much detail you went into when researching. It’s given me some ideas of how to freshen up my display storage jars in my kitchen. I now know more about what foods react with certain container lids which is something I had never really thought about. All in all a really good read!
Thank you and glass storage containers can be used throughout the house, not just the kitchen. I store cotton wool and extra soap in glass in the bathroom and it looks very pretty and tidy as well.
Your post is quite helpful. I do like glass containers for keeping foods safe, even though they are breakable. I looked on Amazon at the ones with bamboo lids, as I believe those are my favorites. Plastic containers are okay for short-term or for sharing leftovers with friends, so you don’t lose your glass ones, but glass is best for storage.
What about the glass containers with the snap-on lids? I really like those. They make them in both glass and plastic, but of course the glass ones are preferable. I really love those lids, though, because they make a tight seal but are easy to open. I also really like the containers with the hinged lids. I used to have a set of very large ones that I used in my pantry as canisters for storage, and found them to be great. Since I lived in a rain forest, it was always damp, and those snap-on lids kept the contents of the canister quite dry.
I use glass containers to store all my dry products like flour, sugar, cereal, rice, coffee, couscous etc. and have a variety of different lids from hinged lids to cork and glass, and they all keep the content dry and fresh, so I will certainly recommend them. Great to hear that your experience is also that the best glass food containers with lids will keep the content dry.
I really appreciate the thorough article you have written here. I have been using plastic for storage and I didn’t know how much I was harming myself due to their leakage of chemicals. I was actually looking through the best glass food containers to make an upgrade from plastic just for fun. Thanks for making me aware of that. You have saved me big time. The options you have provided are awesome and I am stuck between the glass containers with bamboo lids and the glass lids. I will take some more time to think about it and make a good decision.
Hi Dave, The difference really would be whether you want to be able to stack the containers or not, as you can stack the ones with the bamboo lids. So they have different applications at the end of the day. Do let me know if you need assistance. All the best, Liné
Glass has been a big friend for me over the years. I got rid of most of my plastics due to the bpa in them and attempt to focus on glass to do all my storage. It is heavier and has a chance to break, but it is worth it in the long run! Thank you for providing a great summary for the different brands out there in case I need to stock up!
Hi Matt, I got rid of most of the plastic in my kitchen after learning why is plastic bad for you health and the chemicals that can leak into the food. Glass is one of the safest food storage containers to use and also versatile, so I love my glass containers. Liné
Nice article, this is definitely a useful information, especially now that is global shutdown, it is will be good to store food since many people can not go out due to the pandemic, plastic is definitely not a good container for storage if food, especially when the food will be heated in side the container besides there are many benefits of using glass as a storage, I love storing food in glass thats the best way….thanks
Thank you for your kind comments and glass is certainly one of the safest food storage containers.
Thank you for sharing this information all in one spot. I am a big fan of and familiar with the Ball brand Mason jars for preserving and canning. They are excellent! With plastic I have always been wary and after reading your article it reinforces my thoughts. I really like the bamboo tops, not just because they are safe, but they also look really good. Just when I was looking to upgrade my current set of storage ware I found your site! The choice is clear. Again, thank you!
Hi Shawn, you are welcome and thank you for your kind comments, Liné
Very informative article. We always used glass storage containers when we lived in our home. Now that we are on the road traveling full time in an RV glass was just too heavy and breakable for bouncing along on a highway. We wish there were something as safe as glass that wasn’t as breakable. Something similar to the Corelle dishware we use. It feels and looks like glass, is fairly light weight but is mostly shatterproof.
Hi Rob, many of the new glass products are more resistant to breaking but is still heavy. I have not come across Corelle dishware, so I will check it out. You can look at bamboo for storage as well, as it is a natural product and lightweight. Enjoy your travels, Liné
Wow thanks for these great suggestions on different glass containers we can use. I have always used plastic most my lift, but I had no idea they they were so harmful to us.
Out of all these choices which ones would you personally recommend, also can you really tell a different in taste when storing good in plastic verses glass container?
Hi Michael, I can taste the difference in food that has been stored in plastic and it has a “plasticky” taste, so I use glass or stainless steel. These glass containers have different roles in the kitchen and home. The ones with bamboo lids and the Pyrex glass food containers can be used in the oven and can be stacked as well.
Glass containers with hinged lids or glass lids or cork lids are not normally stacked. I use them to store dry ingredients like flour, cereal, coffee, sugar. And of course the jars for canning and preserving have a different role. I have all of these products in my house.
I hope that helps, Liné
I am a huge fan of the glass Mason jars with the hinged lid. But after reading your post, I am seriously considering some glass containers with the bamboo lids. I feel like so much of our country is a bid landfill filled with plastic and chemically created messes! The bamboo lids are a welcome way to curb some of the waste that our world is doing.
I do have a question, do the bamboo lids with the seal keep their shape and remain snug for years to come? If the bamboo gets wet, does it shrink or expand or change shape?
I still love the old Mason jars, too and the ones with the hinged lid are still my favorites!
Hi Karin, Bamboo is a natural product and will not lose it’s shape. You need to treat it very much like wood, so don’t put it in the dishwasher and don’t let it soak in water. Just wash it with soap and water and dry it and it will last for many years.
I do like the hinged lids as well, and I use them to store dry ingredients in. So they fulfill a different need for me and I don’t use them in the fridge or freezer, whereas the glass containers with bamboo lids can be stacked and used in the fridge or freezer. And of course the glass can go in the oven, so it has a different role in my kitchen and home.
All the best, Liné