The Singer C240 Sewing machine is a computerized machine which is compact. But it has a modern interpretation of a classic sewing machine, perfect for today’s seamstresses.
I learnt to sew more than 50 years ago and the very first sewing machine that I used was a Singer hand sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother. It was a heavy black machine with the Singer logo in gold writing and a big handle on the right-hand side that you turned to make the needle move. My first project was to make clothes for my dollies.
When I got my own first sewing machine, the natural choice for me was Singer. I opted for the first electronic machine that Singer produced at the time. That machine lasted me more than 25 years and it did a huge amount of sewing over that time without ever letting me down.
Singer Featherweight C240 Sewing Machine with IEF System
The main features include these:
- Integrated Even Feed System for sewing perfect seams
- 70 Built-in Stitches – basic, stretch and decorative
- Compact and Portable for easy transport and storage
- Heavy Duty Metal Frame for long lasting durability
- Speed Control for precision or volume
What is IEF or Integrated Even Feed?
I love the Integrated Even Feed System. My first Singer sewing machine had a separate Even Feed Foot, so to see this as an integrated part of the machine, is fantastic.
Even Feed System means that the top and bottom of the fabric is fed through at the same speed and time. All sewing machines have tiny little teeth at the bottom that feeds the fabric through the machine. The Even Feed System also has tiny little teeth incorporated into the underside of the foot. This means that the top layer is fed through the machine evenly with the bottom.
So when sewing through thick layers, the top layer doesn’t get pushed out and end up longer than the bottom. Seems in napped fabrics like corduroy and quilt layers will not shift and sewing seams in denim is very easy. Silky and lightweight fabrics won’t pucker either.
This feature is essential when you are sewing thick fabrics and matching plaids and stripes. The IEF will give you confidence knowing that your “end result” will look really professional.
Great Features to make your sewing perfect
A Wide Range of Stitch Options
The Singer C240 machine has 70 built-in stitches which are displayed inside the lid of the machine.
Just open the lid and you can easily choose from basic stitches, stretch stitches, decorative stitches, quilting and applique stitches, as well as three styles of buttonholes.
The stitches that are most commonly used are conveniently located at the front of the machine and are selected by just touching the button.
The selected stitch will be displayed on an LCD screen and if you press the Info button, it will even give you suggestions for which foot to use with the stitch. The optimum stitch length and width are pre-programmed or pre-selected, but you can customize these.
You no longer have to think that you might not have the right stitch for your sewing project, you’ll have them at the touch of a button.
Transparent bobbins and bobbin cover is another feature that I love. It means that you can easily monitor the amount of thread that you have on the bobbin and not run out halfway through sewing a buttonhole!
The drop in bobbin case makes it very easy to thread without trying to fit the bobbin under the machine, as is the case with most other sewing machines.
I love the One Step Buttonhole feature. You simply place the button at the back of the buttonhole foot (inside the foot) and the machine will automatically sew the perfect size buttonhole for that button. No more guessing if the hole will be too small or all the buttonholes will not be the same size. Perfect buttonholes every time!
Compact and small enough to be carried around as it weighs less than 15 pounds. It is ideal to take it along to sewing classes or for getting together with your craft group. It might say “Featherweight” which had me slightly worried that it would not be sturdy enough on the table. This was not the case. The machine is solid and the base is made from metal, so it will not vibrate while sewing.
More features to make the Singer C240 a prefect choice:
- Built in needle threader: easy threading of the thread through the needle taking the strain off your eyes.
- Adjustable presser foot pressure: when sewing very lightweight or heavyweight fabric, it might sometimes be necessary to change the pressure of the foot. This is to make it lighter or heavier, to help feeding the fabric through the machine.
- Self adjusting tension system: select your stitch and the machine will automatically adjust the tension for the pre-selected stitch.
- Program the needle to stop in up or down position: so when you stop sewing, the needle will stop in the position that you selected – perfect for top stitching, applique, changing direction and more.
- Adjustable stitch length: increase of decrease the distance between stitches for basting, applique and more.
- Adjustable stitch width: easy to make the width of any stitch wider or narrower.
- Reverse button: at the touch of a button sewing will be in reverse to strengthen and reinforce stitching.
- Free Arm: the storage compartment can be removed to free the arm of the machine making it ideal for sewing parts like trouser hems, cuffs on sleeves and other small and narrow pieces.
- Speed control: sewing speed can be selected to go fast when doing long straight seams and slow for intricate and curved seams. Speed can be controlled through the pedal (zero to maximum) and also in the control button.
- Drop Feed: essential for quilters as the feed teeth can be lowered to sew on buttons or for free motion sewing.
Accessories that are included:
- General Purpose Foot 0A for IEF System.
- All Purpose Foot 1A for IEF System.
- Satin Stitch Foot 2A.
- Blind Hem Foot 3 for IEF System.
- Zipper Foot 4 for IEF System.
- Buttonhole Foot 5B.
- Seam Ripper/Lint Brush.
- Edge or Quilting Guide.
- Clearance Plate, Pack of Needles, Bobbins (Class 15 transparent), Spool Caps.
- Auxiliary Spool Pin, Spool Pin Felt, Screwdriver.
- A Hard Cover to protect your machine from dirt and bumps.
If you would like to look at a heavy duty mechanical sewing machine, then have a look at the Singer 4423 sewing machine.
I regard the Singer C240 Sewing machine as a very good value for money machine. Most sewing machines with the same amount of stitch options and features, or even less, will cost you a lot more money. For the best deal buy your Singer C240 machine here . I’d like to hear your opinion so please leave any comments or suggestions below.